New Year's Eve Traditions and Celebrations

Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 6:59 AM

Here in New Orleans, we have a traditional reveillon dinner after the midnight champagne toast and prayer. Our family meal includes: gumbo, potato salad, cabbage (for money), black eyed peas (for good fortune), chitterlings (to never be hungry), crawfish cornbread, sweet potatoes, and homemade eggnog & pound cake (for happiness).

As for celebrations, we have our own version of the Times Square Ball Drop. We have a Baby New Year and Gumbo Pot Drop in Jackson Square (French Quarter). There is a concert with many local musicians, and a fireworks show over the Mississippi River!

What New Year traditions and celebrations do you have in your part of the world?
Lenny Lover Sista
Live to Give

Replies to This Posting

1. Re: New Year's Eve Traditions and Celebrations

Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Well, I've been living in Spain for the last 15 years, so I'll be having dinner with my partner's family. Then at 12 o'clock the tradition here is to eat 12 grapes; one for each of the 12 chimes ! then off to party with friends!
    In the UK, it's similar to the US. Dinner with the family, normally a buffet style. Then out to party with friends at a club or pub, or have a party at home with friends & family. The tradition is to watch or listen on the radio to Big Ben in London, striking the 12 chimes. Now there's a big firework display on the Thames, too! Some people sing "Auld Lang syne" and we hug everyone around us and greet the new year.
    My parents are ex forces (Royal Navy) and my dad carries out a Naval "ritual". He has a Bosun's whistle and goes outside and gives a good few long blows on it after the chimes- something they do when they're on board apparently - to welcome in the new year. Don't know if the neighbours appreciate it! but at least it's only once a year!
    Hoping everyone has a wonderful evening wherever you are and whatever you do to celebrate. Peace and LetLoveRule!

2. Re: New Year's Eve Traditions and Celebrations

Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 9:15 AM

We do not celebrate it very special: We eat as always and we do not make a firework! But we watch some sort of New Year Music Shows and we stay up till it is approximately 1 a.m.! And at 00:00 we watch the fireworks other people make through the window! So it is nice, but we celebrate for example Christmas more special!

3. Re: New Year's Eve Traditions and Celebrations

Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Vivian wrote:
    Traditions for New Years Eve, include getting together with family and friends, reminiscing, laughing and either watching the ball drop in NYC on tv or going out to party in the New Year. New Year's Day is lots of football and parade watching, eating the good luck black-eyed peas, rice and/or collard greens and lots more laughing and reminiscing.

And oh yeah, we are always greeted early New Year's Day by a male relative or any male but usually it is my Uncle E. B. being the first to cross the threshold of our home which is supposed to bring good luck

Happy New Years Everyone, LLR, Vivian
    Stay Focused, Stay Positive

Vivian thanks for sharing! LOL at your Uncle E.B.

Lenny Lover Sista
    Live to Give

4. Re: New Year's Eve Traditions and Celebrations

Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 9:40 AM

sonia wrote:
    Hey Lady! First of all, Happy New Year from Ibiza!!! Though we´re the island of wild parties in summer!! we´re so boring in Xmas time and in New year Eve.... Just have a good dinner and at twelve o,clock, we eat 12 grapes!!! We usually watch tv and eat the grapes watching Madrid´s clock, which is in Puerta del Sol.. like people do in NY with Times Square, I think!!! After that, we go out to some club to drink something o go to a party with friends!!! But most of clubs are closed in winter, so we don´t have many options to fun!!! Others years I´ve been dancing until dawn!!or playing music in a club as a dj! This year, I won´t.. I´m getting older..Love!!!!

Wow, I guess I imagined Ibiza would be hopping with lots of people and parties at this time of year. Thanks for sharing!

Lenny Lover Sista
    Live to Give

5. Re: New Year's Eve Traditions and Celebrations

Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Thank you everyone for sharing your traditions and celebrations. It was so interesting reading about customs from around the world. I love learning about others and life in other places.

Sonja, Emma, and Ana, I have added a "new" New Year's Eve tradition; eating 12 grapes. I need all the good luck I can get! I must say it was a challenge to finish all the grapes in time.

Lenny Lover Sista
    Live to Give