MARVIN GAYE’S SON: Begs Lenny Kravitz...PLEASE Don't Play My Dad

Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 6:33 AM

MARVIN GAYE’S SON: Begs Lenny Kravitz...PLEASE Don't Play My Dad
http://www.tmz.com/2012/12/03/marvin-gaye-lenny-kravitz-son/

Well ... what can I say about this?
First, I want to say that I admire Marvin, and as a fan of Lenny, I love that he could interpret him.
On the other hand, although I do not know what is the topic of the movie, I personally don't think the director, producers and Lenny have bad intentions!
We have to humanize the artists not idolize them. You can't cover the sun with one finger, and show it "the worst moment of Marvin" doesn't have anything wrong! We all know who was Marvin Gaye, and how amazing and talented he was. This film is not going to overshadow that. And who better than Lenny could play the role of Marin because of the connection he has with his family?

I want to know your opinions! Thank you!

Replies to This Posting

1. Re: MARVIN GAYE’S SON: Begs Lenny Kravitz...PLEASE Don't Play My Dad

Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 12:21 PM

I see both sides. It's obviously very personal to Marvin Gaye's family and I understand that they want to keep his struggles private. On the other hand, his life was interesting and there is a story to tell. Even if it shows a dark period in Marvin's life, a movie will not overshadow his accomplishments and the amazing music that he created. Done with respect - which I think is the intention of the filmaker-it would be a movie worth seeing. Having someone as talented and respectful as Lenny Kravitz playing the lead should make the family feel more comfortable about the project. I know nothing about the business of making movies - but I'm a fan of Marvin Gaye's music and a fan of Lenny Kravitz. So if it gets made, I'll watch.
    Peace & Love,
    Norma

2. Re: MARVIN GAYE’S SON: Begs Lenny Kravitz...PLEASE Don't Play My Dad

Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 4:21 PM

DITTO what Norma said! Well written and mostly my thoughts as well.
    Looking forward to seeing the pic.
    Thanks for bringing this up Mel.

Therese.

3. Re: MARVIN GAYE’S SON: Begs Lenny Kravitz...PLEASE Don't Play My Dad

Sat, Dec 8, 2012 at 1:10 AM

I agree with everything that has been said. I don't think LK would have agreed to do project if it was not going to be handled with respect. He knows Marvin's son, I wonder if his son reached out to Lenny and asked him not to play the role. I will be watching if and when it comes out.

tsrottweilers wrote:
    DITTO what Norma said! Well written and mostly my thoughts as well.
    Looking forward to seeing the pic.
    Thanks for bringing this up Mel.

Therese.